Inklings Designs

Life in the South:

The adventures of three sisters: Gracie Hope, Faith and other things to make you smile.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Trip to the Blueberry Farm


Have you ever been blueberry pickin? I am blessed to live near a blueberry farm so I had to take advantage of that. Here is the skinny on blueberries... They are just 80 calories per cup. They contain Vitamin C, Fiber, Manganese and they are an antioxidant.

Getting out to the country is always refreshing. As I pulled into the driveway of the farm you could hear the birds singing right away. I got my bucket, that were already lined with plastic bags by the way, and walked out to the field. The bushes were overflowing with the little blue delights. In just a few minutes my bucket was overflowing from just one bush. I don't even know how many I popped into my mouth. They sure were delicious all warm from the sun.

At 75 cents a pound, I got my berries out of the bucket and onto the scales. There was no charge for the ones consumed. On the drive home all I could think about was blueberry muffins, blueberry pancakes, blueberry pie, blueberry smoothies and just popping them into my mouth for a snack.

In the kitchen, I proceeded to prepare my berries for the freezer. Since you don't wash blueberries before you freeze them there really wasn't a lot of prep work to do. I spread them out on paper towels to absorb any moisture that was in the bag. Then I spread them on a cookie sheet to pop into the freezer. This will freeze your berries individually. After a few minutes I move the berries off the cookie sheet and put into freezer bags for later use. Of course I left some out for a smoothie and to share with my African Grey, Meshack. He gobbled them up so fast. What a pleasure to watch.

 At the Farm
                                           


  Get your bucket
                                  

 Choose a bush                        

                                                   
 Big plump berries                                      




 It did not take long to pick a full bucket

                                           
Weighing the berries


    At 75 cents a pound and all you can eat free..well you can't beat that deal           


Freezing the berries on a cookie sheet first will freeze them individually so you can                                             get out just what you need and not a whole glob of berries.


              

My Meshack enjoying his berries. Makes you want some doesn't it?

No comments: