Inklings Designs

Life in the South:

The adventures of three sisters: Gracie Hope, Faith and other things to make you smile.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Have you ever thanked a Vet?


Living in Pensacola, home of Naval Aviation, you see a lot of men and women in uniform so it is easy to know who to thank for your freedom. I have done it on many occasions in town and at airports when traveling. One of the things I had on my "bucket list" was to participate in a welcome home to our WWII Vets. I got that opportunity last night when the Flight to Honor Vets arrived back from Washington DC after a day trip to reflect at their memorial. This is a program Nationwide that will fly US Vets, free of charge, to our Nations Capital and back with a guardian for the day. There was such pride standing in that crowd of hundreds of family, friends and locals that were there to do the same. Flags were given out upon arrival and many had flowers, balloons and signs. ROTC, Navy, Marines, Army and Air Force were in dress uniform, all of us waiting for the landing of that special plane. Excitement was building as the first Vet rolled down in his wheelchair. There was cheering, thank yous, flag waving and lots of tears that evening. I felt so honored to be a part of such a special moment. It is something that I will remember for a long while and I will be attending as many of these as I can in the future. Please get online and see where the city nearest you is that participates in this program and try to attend. You won't be the same afterwards. We live in the land of the free and the home of the brave because of these Vets!














This Gentleman made the flight last October!











Pam and I saying "THANK YOU" to our Veterans

GOD BLESS AMERICA

No comments: